Current: Loughborough University – Learning & Teaching Facilitator
I work part-time for the School of Business & Economics at Loughborough University as Learning and Teaching Facilitator for the School of Business and Economics, where I help academic staff enhance their teaching practice. My role includes facilitating a community of practice for academics to explore and share good practice, coordinating and disseminating research on what works in teaching within the school and why, and advising subject teams on the design and development of new programmes and courses.
Previous work history
Open University of Catalonia – Research Team Lead
From March 2015 to May 2016, I led a team from Art of E-learning in conducting a study for the eLearn Center of the Open University of Catalonia into next-generation pedagogy in distance education.
Storyboarding OOC Designer and Facilitator
In January and February 2015 I worked with Brenda Padilla on creating and running an OOC (Open Online Course) on Storyboarding for Learning Design.
University of Bradford – Distance Learning Manager
From Feb 2014 to Oct 2015 I worked as Distance Learning Manager for the University of Bradford’s online MBA programme.
University of Leicester – Research Associate
From Feb 2009 to Nov 2014 I was a Research Associate in the Institute of Learning Innovation (formerly the Beyond Distance Research Alliance), University of Leicester. My research focused mainly on learning design, open educational resources (OERs), massive open online courses (MOOCs) and the use of learning technologies in Higher Education, and included the following projects:
- Lead Researcher – OpenCred, writing a report for the EU’s Institute for Prospective Technologies on validation of MOOC-based learning.
- Research Associate – POERUP, a European Commission-funded project that investigated how governments can stimulate the uptake of open educational resources (OER).
- Project Coordinator on the JISC-funded SPEED project: led a team in supporting the universities of Derby, Liverpool John Moores, London South Bank and Northampton, in embedding good practice in learning design in a range of discipline groups. (SPEED Blog)
- SCORE Research Fellow on the HEFCE-funded TOUCANS project: investigated attitudes in the UK towards the OER university concept, which aims to massively widen participation in higher education through open education. (TOUCANS blog)
- Knowledge Transfer Fellow on the JISC-funded OSTRICH project: supported project teams at the Universities of Bath and Derby in the development and release of open educational resources.
- Project Coordinator on the JISC-funded OTTER project: facilitated the publication of a number of the University of Leicester’s teaching materials as open educational resources.
- Research Associate on the JISC-funded DUCKLING project: led the MA TESOL course team in experimenting with a range of innovative technologies for distance learning. As a result of this project, the MA TESOL course team developed a series of interactive online for the programme.
University of Leicester – Online Tutor
From Feb 2009 to June 2015 I was a tutor and e-moderator on the University of Leicester’s Online MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL programme.
De Montfort University – Consultant
In summer 2011 I helped De Montfort University develop a GP and General Health Care Commissioning course and embed it in their virtual learning environment.
South African Institute for Distance Education (SAIDE) and OER Africa – Consultant
In 2008-2009 I worked with SAIDE and OER Africa to develop a guide to help distance learning tutors to move from a paper-based mode of delivery to an online mode.
Qatar Petroleum – Curriculum Development Team Leader
From August 2002 to September 2007 I led a curriculum development team that developed multimedia English Foreign Language course materials for Qatar’s energy industry.
Oman – Author
From July 2001 to June 2002 I worked for the Ministry of Education in Oman as an author of EFL materials.
Spain – EFL teacher
I worked at El Centro Británico in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, as an EFL teacher in 1991 and 1992.
South Africa – Adult Literacy Trainer and Consultant
I started my career in South Africa in 1984, working in the NGO sector as an adult literacy tutor. In 1997 I established a training consultancy, Flagship Mentoring and Training cc, that worked with companies such as South African Airways and ESKOM, the national electricity supplier) I facilitated the South African Qualifications Authority’s standards generation body which created qualifications for adult basic education practitioners, and participated in developing the Independent Examinations Board’s adult basic education exams.
Masters in Training and Development (University of Southern Queensland)
Masters in English Education (University of the Witwatersrand)
PG Certificate in Mediation (Robert Gordon University)
Honours in Applied Linguistics (University of the Witwatersrand)
Bachelor of Arts with Zulu and Social Anthropology (University of the Witwatersrand)